Boy, 16, arrested on suspicion of murder after 15-year-old stabbed to death

A 16-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a 15-year-old was stabbed to death in Huddersfield.

West Yorkshire Police said: “The youth was arrested at an address in Huddersfield shortly before 5am this morning in connection with the incident in Woodhouse Hill, Fartown, yesterday afternoon.

“He remains in custody and enquiries are ongoing led by detectives from West Yorkshire Police Homicide and Major Enquiry Team.”

Emergency services were called to the scene at 2.54pm on Wednesday, following the attack close to the entrance of North Huddersfield Trust School.

The victim received treatment at the scene and was taken to Leeds General Infirmary for emergency surgery but was pronounced dead a short time later.

Police confirmed a murder investigation was under way.

Yorkshire Police have launched a murder enquiry after a school boy was stabbed in Huddersfield this afternoon as he left school.

Earlier this morning, the school paid tribute to the victim, describing him as a “wonderful student”.

In a statement, headteacher Andrew Fell said: “Our deepest sympathies go out to the pupil’s family and friends who must feel completely devastated.

More from UK

“They have lost a loved one and we have lost a wonderful student from our school community.”

Mr Fell said it was with “enormous sadness” the school was having to tell parents “one of our pupils has tragically lost their life”.

“This is truly shocking news for our pupils, your children, and our staff.”

He said specialist support was being made available for people, and added: “I would urge everyone not to engage in speculation about possible causes or perpetrators and allow police to make their enquiries.”

The statement said the school will not open until 10.30am on Thursday and then only to students who need support.

Copyright Ben Lack Photography Ltd.West Yorkshire Police have launched a murder enquiry after a school boy was stabbed in Huddersfield this afternoon as he left school.

Afiya Mahmood, 39, who lives opposite the school, said she was working from home when she got a message from her husband about the attack.

She said: “It must have been about half-an-hour after the incident had happened. I hadn’t heard anything but I ran up to see what happened.

“I could see the boy from the window, and the paramedics working on the child.”

She added: “There were a lot of paramedics, about 15 or 20, or that’s what it felt like anyway. Then they took him away.

“It’s very overwhelming, distressing. It’s shocking, it’s just a young boy isn’t it.”

A police cordon blocking the pavement on a section of Woodhouse Hill was in place this morning.

Billy Shankland laid flowers at the scene with his son, a Year 7 pupil at the school.

He said: “It’s awful, I’ve got a child within the same age group, I can’t imagine what the family’s going through.

“He didn’t know the boy, but he’s got friends who did. It’s a shock.”

Articles You May Like

‘Life-threatening’ storm Ian upgraded to hurricane
IMF gives damning verdict on Britain’s tax cuts
Intel’s self-driving car division Mobileye files for IPO
Ukraine War: Ukrainian artillery ‘pound’ Russian positions in the south
Finland to ban Russian tourists over fears of ‘endangering international relations’