World

Man convicted of British student Meredith Kercher’s murder is freed early from jail

A man convicted of the murder of British student Meredith Kercher in Italy in 2007 has been freed early from jail.

Rudy Guede served about 13 years of a 16-year sentence, said his lawyer, Fabrizio Ballarini.

He was convicted in 2008 and had been due to be freed on 4 January next year, but a judge brought forward his release date.

Rudy Guede is serving 16 years in jail for the murder of Meredith Kercher
Image:
Guede served most of his 16-year sentence

Guede was already allowed to leave prison during the day to work in the library at the Centre for Criminology Studies in Viterbo, central Italy.

The murder case – in the university city of Perugia – was the subject of international attention.

Ms Kercher, a 21-year-old exchange student, was found murdered in the flat she shared with her American roommate, Amanda Knox.

Her throat had been cut and she had been stabbed 47 times.

More from World

Knox and her then-boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, were placed under suspicion.

Both were initially convicted, but Italy’s highest court quashed their convictions in 2015.

Rudy Guede is escorted to the courthouse for his appeal against the sentence he received in the Meredith Kercher murder trial, in Perugia December 21, 2009. Guede, an Ivorian drifter with a criminal record, was sentenced in October 2008 to 30 years in jail for taking part in Kercher's murder. REUTERSAlessandro Bianchi (ITALY - Tags: CRIME LAW)
Image:
Guede was refused permission to appeal against his conviction in 2017

Guede, who has denied killing Ms Kercher, was originally convicted in a fast-track trial procedure.

From the Ivory Coast, he was initially sentenced to 30 years but later appealed and his term was reduced.

In 2017, he was refused permission to appeal against his conviction.

He had sought an “extraordinary review” of his case at Florence Appeal Court following the acquittal of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito two years earlier.

Amanda Knox. Pic: AP
Image:
Amanda Knox returned to Italy in 2019. Pic: AP

Amanda Knox returned to Italy in 2019 and said she felt fearful about going back.

“I’m afraid of being harassed, mocked, framed, I’m afraid that new accusations will be levied against me just because I’m here giving my version of events,” she told a criminal justice conference in Modena, northern Italy.

Articles You May Like

What COVID-19 rules come into force in England today?
Mississippi abortion case will have enormous ripple effect for women across the US
Softbank fall steepens after report that Chinese regulators have asked Didi to delist from U.S.
Bookings cancelled and plans changed as ‘chilling talk of Plan B’ hits hospitality sector
Gusts near 100mph as Storm Arwen batters UK, as man dies after his car is hit by a falling tree